Estonian education technology (EdTech) companies are ready to offer their educational solutions for free to support Ukrainian schools and pupils whose education has been disrupted by the war. Several digital solutions have already been translated into Ukrainian.
Minister Liina Kersna said at the meeting with representatives of Estonian EdTech companies, that it is essential to support the families and children arriving in Estonia from Ukraine as a consequence of the war. “We must give families arriving here time to adapt as well as support their mental health. Thereafter we can slowly integrate children into the education system and offer them feasible and versatile support,” said the minister. “I am eternally grateful to our companies who have already started translating their digital learning platforms into Ukrainian – this helps us to rapidly support Ukrainian teachers and students who have arrived in Estonia and also those who are in Ukraine.”
Edumus, Estonian EdTech offering additional electives to schools, launched their free solution in Ukraine last year already. “Prior to the outbreak of the war, approximately 20 Edumus teachers taught a variety of electives in Ukrainian schools. We are establishing a ‘distance learning school’ in co-operation with displaced students and teachers in order to help Ukrainian students and teachers. This is the quickest way for us to get students back into their everyday learning routines and accomplish it in their mother tongue with familiar content,” said Maria Rahamägi, founder of Edumus.
Educational solutions available to Ukrainian children
At present, several Estonian EdTech companies have joined the education innovation community initiative and prepared to make their solutions available free of charge to children and teachers who remained in Ukraine and also to those who were obliged to leave Ukraine. The list is constantly updated, the updated information can be found on the EdTech Estonia website.
- ALPA Kids – mobile learning games for early childhood – available for learning Estonian language and culture
- Cognuse / CoNurse – a guideline adherence and management system – step-by-step guidance through nursing procedures, also available in Ukrainian (UA)
- DreamApply – student application management system for universities. Can be used to help universities admit refugees.
- Edumus SCHOOL – online school for distance learning available for Ukrainian refugees (UA)
- ELIIS – user-friendly early childhood education administration software, (UA)
- Lingvist – language learning platform, available for learning English, German, etc.
- Mentornaut – tutoring platform that can connect Ukrainian students and teachers
- Multikey and Taskutark – comprehensive Estonian language courses for refugees from April 2022. The platform itself is not in Ukrainian, but translation support is provided.
- Opiq – online platform for digital study books, soon to be available in Ukrainian.
- VideoBit – video platform for learning about different cultures and languages. (UA)
- Triumf Health – mobile health platform for supporting children’s wellbeing and mental health. Triumf Hero is available in Ukrainian.
- 99math – math game to accelerate students’ progress in 1st to 6th grades
- Clanbeat – an app that supports well-being – nurturing social & emotional learning through co-creation
- Schoolaby – a digital platform for study journeys’ management (UA)
- eKool – a school management tool bringing together pupils and their families, schools and supervisory bodies
The representative organisation of educational technology companies, EdTech Estonia , includes 34 educational companies. Over 190 countries around the globe use Estonian EdTech solutions.
The ministry continues to support the development of Estonia’s educational technology business environment and community and the strengthening of partnerships between the public and private sector.